Thursday, October 29, 2009

A Kitchen Orchard



Balls are still in the air, goal posts keep changing, but at least we are still in the game. Family and friends keep asking in earnest "Any news yet?" - but it could be weeks until we know if the vineyard is ours - and in what convoluted financial way we are going to pay for it! But I have a good feeling about it. So good, in fact, that in a wild leap of faith I conscripted the family into helping me plant out my kitchen orchard this week. Perhaps not the most sensible move until the papers are signed and the other potential buyer is completely out of the picture - but I've had it with sensible! So, in went my kitchen orchard. A symbol of hope, of good things to come. We planted to the south of the shed in a large open space that can be seen from the cellar door. My plan is to extend the orchard next year, including the addition of a citrus grove at the end (if only for the annual sensual experience of walking through a citrus grove in flower!)  But for this year, here is a list of what went in:
*  2 Blood Plum "Satsuma"
* 1 plum "Santa Rosa"
* Nectarine Goldmine
* 1 Pear "Doyenne Du Comice" (because it sounds oh so exotic!)
* 1 Pear "Beurre Bosc" (because of their antique beauty in a bowl!)
*2 Almonds (self pollinating)
* 1 Grafted Pecan "Cherokee"
*1 Andean Walnut
* 1 White Fig
Yes, it is distinctly lacking in apples and sweet smelling apricots - but I promise they will find a home in the orchard next year.

Until we hook up an irrigation system (which Jamie is - understandably - cautious of doing until our future is more certain) I am watering my babies by hand. But that's OK - there is therapy in it.


No comments:

Post a Comment