Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Best season in 25 years!

Life. A spring blossom emerges from a branch of a gnarled old road-side tree.
I have lived in regional NSW for almost fifteen years and I have never seen it look so lush and alive. Sure, we get a flush of beautiful green spring growth every year, but the drought ensured it was always only skin deep. But this lush is the lush of deep and meaningful rains. I was speaking to a farmer from Forbes last week who said he thought this was going to be "the best season in 25 years". The knock-on effect of such optimism is felt throughout the community. From small business owners to broad acre farmers, people are looking forward to being able to pay off some of the debts accrued over the past ten years and hopefully make a bit of money this year.
Canola crops on the road between Canowindra and Cowra.
Canola is a harbinger of spring out here. Many people hate it's strange, cloying scent, but I like it. When I first moved out here I thought I had left an old stale packet of salt and vinegar chips somewhere in my car until I realised it was the canola I could smell. It's a controversial crop - to GM or not to GM - but it is also an incredibly beautiful crop.
Eucalyptus blossom
Everything is in blossom. First to bloom every year, the delicate white almond blossom put on a show last week and this week the gaudy pink plum blossom is taking centre stage. The native flora is on show as well - eucalyptus blossoms always remind me of that great Australian children's classic Snugglepot & Cuddlepie, and the wattle is almost brighter than the canola, if that is possible.
The dirt lane looking down to the vineyard, taken yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment