Monday, September 13, 2010

Our first eggs!

The day we have eagerly awaited has finally arrived. Some time in the early hours of this morning, two of our clever chooks did, for the first time in their young lives, what they were born to do - laid two brown, slightly speckled eggs. I can't help but wonder how much of a shock it must have been - at least our various bodily functions are explained to us in excruciating detail for years before we are confronted with them. Perhaps I should have better prepared them in some way? Life education for domestic chooks.
I feel strangely smug about it all - as though I have done something terribly clever.  Billions of chickens lay billions of eggs every day (although, sadly, usually not in such comfortable digs) and yet I feel as though something truly amazing has happened. It's a good feeling knowing you can produce food to feed your family - although I'm not sure how far two small eggs will go tonight. But I am sure it won't be long before we have so many eggs we will be giving them away - how nice that will be. Thank you clever chickens!

No comments:

Post a Comment