Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The sweet smells of life

Today, the children and I experienced the pure olfactory exhilaration of a face full of tree ripened nectarine perfume.
Unimpressed by hard, odorless, tasteless supermarket fruit, neither Angus nor Ella were too keen to try another nectarine. Until today, when they picked their own sweet ripe fruit from the very tree they planted just eighteen months ago.

We were not expecting fruit so soon, but our little nectarine tree graced us with twelve perfect nectarines this year. The Satsuma plum also produced some fruit. We can't wait until next year's crop.

Of all the senses, I think smell is the one I would most hate to lose. A big call, I know. I can't say I would be too keen to give up sight or hearing either. But to go through life without the dimension of smell and taste would be bland indeed.
  
The nectarines got me thinking about my favourite smells. Apart from the obvious - baking bread, freshly ground coffee and garlic frying in butter - here are some of my sweetest;

                              wood smoke
                                                       musty fallen autumn leaves
Japanese incense

      sugar cane (from a childhood spent in Queensland)

                                            jonquils

                        Eau de Givenchy (my first French perfume!)

    kerosene (from a little kerosene heater that
    kept me warm through a Japanese winter)

                                                                   crisp misty mornings

the sweet, sticky grape juice left on
clothing after a night of harvesting
                                                               
                              lemon zest freshly zested

                                                 that first whiff of the ocean  
         
        crushed kaffir lime leaves
                                                     Eucalyptus forest floors
 
aged red wine

And yours? Post a comment, share your favourite memory smells.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jules,
    I love this! Do you remember the sweet musky smell of your babies as newborns? This has to be my favourite ever smell. Liz xx
    PS. Funny how those very same creatures can create the most unpleasant of smells too!

    ReplyDelete